Welcome to the Wonderful World of Lavender
Find us on facebook for all the latest at Leafy Hollow.
Lavender is a sweet-smelling herb that has been used for over 2000 years. Derived from the Latin word "lavare", meaning to wash, Lavender is a genus of 39 species of flowering plants in the mint family that comes in many varieties and grows in different continents.
Lavender's unique beauty and enticing aroma captivates admirers. Grown outdoors, you can also bring the perfume inside as dried lavender or oil and use for a multitude of purposes from potpourris and cooking, to arts and crafts.
Lavandula angustifolia, Lavandula x intermedia and dentata cultivars can live for up to 20 years if they are pruned regularly and soil conditions are favourable.
Lavandula stoechas cultivars have a lifespan of 3 to 10 years. Pruning hard each year will prolong the life of the plant.
Care of Lavender:
- Lavenders grow best when there is adequate calcium in the soil. Some growers mulch with crushed shells to reflect the sunlight and to promote healthy growth. Lime may be added in autumn or before planting.
- Plant out in a sunny position in well-drained soil. Lavenders need lots of sun.
- Water well at the time of planting out.
- Water if the season is particularly dry but remember that lavenders hate standing in water.
- Cut back by approximately 1/3 at the end of the flowering season to keep a good shape and to stop them from going "woody".
Please come and visit our established Garden
, Nursery and Gift Shop, or shop online
Our garden is usually open:
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. September to April
Get in touch if you want to purchase plants or visit the Gift Shop outside our usual opening times. If we are home we are open!
I can be contacted on my mobile 021 2648654 or you can leave a message on the landline 09 2352990 and I will get back to you. Contact us
year round for plant sales and mail order.