Welcome to the Wonderful World of Lavender
Lavender is a sweet-smelling herb that has been used for over 2000 years. Derived from the Latin word "lavare", meaning to wash, Lavender is a genus of 39 species of flowering plants in the mint family that comes in many varieties and grows in different continents.
Lavender's unique beauty and enticing aroma captivates admirers. Grown outdoors, you can also bring the perfume inside as dried lavender or oil and use for a multitude of purposes from potpourris and cooking, to arts and crafts.
Lavandula angustifolia, Lavandula x intermedia and dentata cultivars can live for up to 20 years if they are pruned regularly and soil conditions are favourable.
Lavandula stoechas cultivars have a lifespan of 3 to 10 years. Pruning hard each year will prolong the life of the plant.
Care of Lavender:
- Lavenders grow best when there is adequate calcium in the soil. Some growers mulch with crushed shells to reflect the sunlight and to promote healthy growth. Lime may be added in autumn or before planting.
- Plant out in a sunny position in well-drained soil. Lavenders need lots of sun.
- Water well at the time of planting out.
- Water if the season is particularly dry but remember that lavenders hate standing in water.
- Cut back by approximately 1/3 at the end of the flowering season to keep a good shape and to stop them from going "woody".
Please come and visit our established Garden
, Nursery and Gift Shop, or shop online
SUMMER OPENING TIMES
This Saturday, 8th February, you will find us at the Rugby on Horses Market at Waiuku Rugby Park, 34 King Street, Waiuku. Sounds interesting? Come along and find out between 10am and 4pm.
The Garden and Nursery will be open as usual on Sunday.
We are normally open Friday, Saturday and Sunday between 10am and 4pm for casual visitors.
Large groups need to book. Organised bookings usually take place during the week.
We are also available to visit organizations, around the Auckland area, to speak about all things lavender. So if you are looking for a visiting speaker just get in touch.
We value your custom so if you are wanting to purchase plants or products on another day of the week please ring or email to make sure we are home.
SPRING and SUMMER WORKSHOPS
We have been so busy over the last couple of months that there hasn't been time to schedule a workshop. It will probably be February when we get back on track.
Keep an eye on our facebook events page for more information or to book a place. You will learn how to make your own beautiful,natural products and have a great time!
Pauline can be contacted on 021 2648654 Contact us